Related Photo Galleries
The MaxxForce DT (formerly known as the DT466) is built at Navistar's Melrose Park, Illinois, facility. The 80-acre plant was originally built by Buick in 1941 to produce engines for the B-24 Liberator bomber. The plant was sold to International (then known as International Harvester) in 1946, following the end of World War II for $1.00. Here, an older 12-valve version of the DT466 (DT466E) is being assembled along with the newer, 24-valve MaxxForce DT engines. International still produces the DT466E version (shown) for export customers in countries with lower emissions standards.